The First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain
Office Manager Job Description
As our mission statement explains:
We are a Christian community of many cultures, one faith.
Unified in our diversity and strengthened by the holy spirit,
We gather together in worship, witness, and service
To glorify God and follow the example of Jesus the Christ’s inclusive love.
As the first point of contact for the church, we expect the Office
Manager to embrace and affirm the mission statement. We are a welcoming and affirming congregation. A background in the Baptist church, or any Christian church, is not necessary. In this key role, the Office Manager is responsible for facilitating the day-to-day operations of the pastor and staff, manages use of the church building, provides front line hospitality, manages church communication, and conducts all bookkeeping.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Serve as the first point of contact for the church, and create a welcoming and professional atmosphere for all inquiries by phone, email, and in person
- Maintain records of church members, pledges, and donations
- Record cash receipts and make bank deposits
- Manage accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of every bank account
- Compile and generate monthly financial reports for the Stewardship committee
- Maintain an orderly filing system
- Create and send publications and mailings, including but not limited to the weekly bulletin, weekly calendar, monthly newsletter, and various outreach documents
- Create and maintain content on the web site and social media platforms
- Act as the executive assistant to the pastoral staff, and provide support for other church leadership, both volunteer and paid
- Coordinate rentals of the building and kitchen, including meeting with potential renters, distributing and collecting use contracts, booking custodial support, and receiving payment
- Purchase and manage inventory of cleaning and office supplies
- Provide management of facilities & kitchen staff
- Facilitate regular maintenance and emergency service of equipment as needed
- Request and facilitate inspections as necessary to ensure compliance with local and federal ordinances
- Strong administrative and computer skills, including: word processing, spreadsheet creation and management, database management, design for publication, and basic web site editing
- Excellent oral and written correspondence (Spanish language a plus)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to balance and prioritize many simultaneous projects, flexibility
- Ability to work both independently and as the manager of a team
- Ability to exercise good judgment, confidentiality, diplomacy, and sensitivity to all persons, regardless of faith, economic status, disability, culture, race, age, gender, sexual orientation, and human condition
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Payment is hourly at the rate of $16/hr.
Between 35 and 40 hours of work are expected during a regular business week, Monday through Friday approximately 9:00am – 4:30pm
At this time there are 5 vacation days and no other benefits, including health, retirement, or sick time.
Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, a resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org