We have many spaces in our building that are perfect to rent for your community meeting, birthday party, baby shower, or class!
As part of our outreach and stewardship in the community, The First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain is pleased to offer the use of our newly renovated and historic building which includes a community room, classrooms, and full commercial kitchen. All areas are handicapped accessible.
At this time, due to our partnership with Pine Village Preschool, our spaces are not available for rent during the school day, approximately 7am - 5:30pm Monday through Friday.
Our Spaces & Rates
- The Community Room accomodates approximately 150 people standing or approximately 100 people seated at tables
- It is a large open space, approximately 36' by 48'
- It has flourescent or incandescent lights, a piano, and a built-in sound system that can support up to 4 microphones, CD, and mp3 (through Ipod or Iphone)
- Good for forums/lectures, conferences, wedding receptions, worship/wedding services
- The rental fee is $100/hour for private events or $75/hour for non-profit groups
- Classroom 2 accomodates approximately 25 adults standing or seated
- Good for classes, group meetings, craft projects
- The rental fee is $40/hour
- Classroom 1 accomodates approximately 15 adults standing or seated
- Good for small classes, discussion groups, child care
- The rental fee is $25/hour
- The kitchen is a professional-style kitchen with:
- a refrigerator
- 6-burner stove
- double oven
- plentiful counter space
- a variety of serving plates, bowls and utensils
Other Available Equipment:
- Renting groups are expected to clean up after themselves and take all of their materials with them at the end of their rental
- Rental of the kitchen can be added to rental of another space for $35 an hour
- Rental of the kitchen on its own, for commercial cooking, catering, or retail distribution, is not permitted at this time
- Projector (PC-compatibility only, unless you bring your own adaptor)
- Portable projection screen
- 4 microphones and cables
- Sound mixing board
- 2 speakers (with or without stands)
First Baptist Church in Jamaica Plain
Building Rental Guidelines
Location and Parking
Our church is located at 633 Centre Street in the Jamaica Plain neighborhood. It is a short walk from the Green Street T Station on the orange line and busses #39 and #41 have stops in front of the church. The church offers limited handicapped parking on site; however, there is also a free City of Boston parking lot within walking distance on Centre Street, and there is usually sufficient on-street, non-permit parking around the church.
Facilities and Rates
The above rates are subject to change without notice. Groups interested in long term, or full building, rentals should contact the church administrator at email@example.com for specific requirements and rates.
The church welcomes couples who wish to have a Christian service of marriage. The pastor of FBCJP will meet with the couple prior to the service to organize and plan the event.
Couples may choose to have the FBCJP pastor perform the ceremony, or may contract their own.
Wedding rates start at $1100 and include building rental for the day of the wedding, including the community room, both classrooms, and kitchen. Additional fees for the pastor to perform the ceremony, musicians, and/or other services may be contracted separately.
General Policies & Procedures
1) Discretion: Rentals are made at the discretion of the church leadership, and should in no way conflict with the values and mission of the church. In addition, the following is prohibited unless otherwise noted:
a. smoking inside any areas of the building
b. illegal drug use in the building or anywhere on the property
c. alcoholic beverages
d. animals of any kind without prior written permission (with the exception of service dogs)
e. decorations affixed to the walls, ceilings, or floors of the building without prior written permission
2) Windows & Lights: Please close all windows and turn off all lights when your group is finished.
3) Equipment/Furniture Set-Up: We generally will not "set up" rooms for outside groups, but will attempt to ensure that the tables and chairs or equipment are in close proximity to the room for your use. Please return the tables and chairs to their original location when you are done.
4) Trash: For events with food, drink, or bulk trash, please take your trash and recycling out to the bin in the rear of the church when you are done.
5) Church Offices & Parsonage: shall be left undisturbed and groups shall not unduly interfere with First Baptist Church materials. Additionally, the yard immediately behind the parsonage is for use by the pastor’s family only, and outdoor use by renters should be restricted to the grass adjacent to Centre and Myrtle streets.
6) Minors: must be under adequate adult supervision at all times.
7) Storage: is not available for non-church groups. Dropping off supplies prior to the rental can be arranged by contacting the church office, and is subject to availability.
8) Kitchen Use: The kitchen may only be used to prepare and cook food served at an event inside the building. It may not be packaged for resale or distributed outside the building. It is the responsibility of the renting organization to leave the kitchen exactly as it was found. Cleaning supplies are provided.
9) Piano Use: pianos and any musical instruments are available by written permission only. Only experienced musicians will be permitted to use the musical instruments.
10) Audio Visual Equipment: A/V equipment is available upon request and may require a meeting with building staff for instructions in setup and break down. A/V equipment includes: CD player, MP3 player, microphone & podium, speakers, mixing console, projector (with PC VGA adaptor). There is wireless internet in the building.
11) Alarms and Emergencies: In the event of a fire alarm, please evacuate the building immediately and call 911.
If you observe an emergency situation that requires immediate building maintenance (doors not locking, sinks backing up, etc.) notify the custodian on duty immediately.
12) Payments: A deposit of 50% of your total fee is required with an application and will be counted toward your overall rental. If your application is accepted, the deposit is non-refundable and ensures that your time and space is reserved. In the event that the church rejects the application upon review, the fee will be returned.
Rates include equipment, such as chairs and tables for the capacity allowed, and a church sexton to open and close the building during rental and serve as a general contact for your group.